Common Proverbs with examples
What is a proverb?
Famous, well-known sentence or phrase that gives suggestions or indicates that something is normally true in our life. Proverbs are made that we have gained with experiences.
- A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND INDEED:- A loyal friend who never leaves you even when you are in trouble and going through many difficulties.
- ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT:- one should not lose his patience even during bad days because patience will eventually bring rewards
- ACTION SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS:- words have no value if it does not match with actions.
- AN APPLE A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR WAY:- eating an apple a day will keep you fit and healthy
- A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS:- it is better to use pictures to explain something than words
- APPEARANCES CAN BE DECEPTIVE:- outer appearance might be deceiving and different from inner appearance.
- CLOTHES DO NOT MAKE A MAN:- one should not believe in someone’s outer appearances. It might deceive you.
- EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING:- There is something good in every bad thing. One should not lose hope in challenging times because everything will be okay in the end after all.
- HASTE MAKES WASTE:- you will make more mistakes if you do it in a hurry
- IGNORANCE IS A BLISS:- if you do not know about something, you do not need to bother about it.
Other Important PROVERBS WITH EXAMPLES
- WHEN THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY:- a person who has the willpower or dedication to do something will eventually find his way.
- STRIKE WHEN THE IRON IS HOT:- one must not miss an opportunity and take advantage of it at the right time
- YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO UNTIL YOU TRY:- do not give up before giving it a try. If you do not try, you will never be able to learn something.
- YOU cannot make an omelet without breaking eggs:- if a person wants to achieve, he must sacrifice something. There is no success without struggle.
- NO PAIN NO GAIN:- one must not think of success if one is not struggling for it.
- GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE:- intelligent people tend to come up with the same ideas simultaneously.
- GIVE THEM AN INCH, and THEY WILL MAKE A MILE: If you give someone power or authority, he is more likely to misuse it or even try to get a lot more.
- THE HARDER YOU WORK, THE LUCKIER YOU GET:- hard work develops luck; the more struggle you do, the more success you will taste.
- THERE IS NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT:- we must live in the present, yesterday was a history and tomorrow is a mystery that is why it is called present. One should stop procrastinating because tomorrow never comes.
- WHEN IN ROME, DO AS THE ROMANS DO:- when a person visits a foreign country, he must abide by all the rules and regulations of that country.
You may like: Perfect continuous tense – Present, Past & Future