Be + TO Infinitive
Sub + is to/am to/are to/was to/were to + verb + object.
Be + To Infinitive is used to express willingness; no compulsion.
Note: Is to/am to/are to use for future activities.
I am to buy a new car.
She is to go by bike.
He is to prepare for NDA coaching.
They are to shift to Mumbai.
He is to join MNC.
(II) Obligation and duty:
I am to get my father admitted to the hospital.
He is to look after his home.
She is to pay the electricity bill.
We are to cast a vote in this election.
They are to survey the population.
His father was to deposit the fee in school.
You are to sleep alone in this house.
(III) Common Orders:
They are to scrub the dishes.
You are to awake at night.
You are to prepare tea for our manager.
They are to complete the project in time.
(IV) Official orders:
- Merit scholars are to face the interview.
- Sound systems are to close at 10 pm.
- You are to train your juniors.
- If foreigners are to work in any country, they must have a permit visa.
(V) Future arrangements:
- The MLA is to visit our village on 18th August.
- He is to take an examination next Tuesday.
- They are to open a company next year.
- She is to go abroad tomorrow.
- They are not to go.
- You are not to make payment.
- NCC certificate holders are not to take a written examination in the army.
- You are not to drive over 100 KPH on this highway.
(VII) “Was to/were to” is used to denote past plans.
- She was to go abroad last year.
- Shalu was to do a job for the sake of her family.
- He was to resign from his position.
- They were to join Cricket Academy.
Use “be + to be + infinitive” and fill in the blanks
- He……… to go to New Delhi yesterday.
- Her father……. to go to the office at 8 in the morning.
- I am to……. Home now.
- They……… to play football last Sunday.
- I……… to eat ice cream that evening.
- Students……… to take an examination at the end of the session.
- They………… to pay the fee by the time.
- She……… to attend the class on time.
- My father……… to reach the office in time.
10. Principal……… to send shortlisted candidates’ names to the company.